I started this blog in November 2016 at a strange time in my life. I was fed up with my job, engaged to be married, and looking for change. Originally, the idea was simply a place to share my passion for food, travel and life in general. But quickly after it started to open up doors I never would have thought possible. Thanks to this blog, I was able to journey down a whole new path. Whether you’ve been with me from the beginning or are a new reader, you’ll see just how far and wide its taken me. In many ways, the blog pushed me to seek new experiences, broaden my horizons, and most recently, get a real job! It felt almost surreal to be able to use my blog experience to start a whole new career in March 2020. Of course, there have been bumps along the way. Literally, a bump that grew into my son, and of course the global health pandemic that had a profound impact on the travel and hospitality industry. Despite a hectic life as a full time working mum, I continue to blog and work freelance here and there.
What is a portmanteau?
- A large traveling bag, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts
- A word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example, motel or brunch
My name is Lara and I’m Norweguese (half Norwegian, half Portuguese) and I grew up around the world. That’s 6 countries, 8 moves, 10 schools, at least 25 different houses, and hundreds of planes back and forth with a very confused notion of what and where is home. They call us third culture kids but I prefer to call myself a portmanteau.
Who are your readers?
My readers are mostly global millennials like me, looking for information and inspiration about where to eat, shop and travel in the world’s most interesting places.
It is truly incredible that people can now afford to do all these things more than ever before, but the growth in accessibility and demand raise big sustainability questions we must also address.
Food and travel responsibility is an important issue for everybody and I hope to use my platform to spread awareness and useful information on these topics.
How can I reach you?
Say hello at firstname.lastname@example.org or find me on any of my social media accounts (see links at the bottom of this page) or subscribe to my newsletter using the form in the sidebar. For enquiries about working together, visit my work with me page.
Top 20 Blog Posts of All Time
- Top 20 Most Instagrammable Places in Vienna
- How to Get a Table at Sushi Tetsu, London
- How I Became A Barry’s Bootcamp Hell Week Survivor
- Top 10 London Restaurants for Foodies
- What to Pack for Mykonos
- The 80s was the Best Decade Ever, Fact
- The Most Instagram-Worthy Places in Portugal
- The Honeymoon Guide to Maui’s Road to Hana
- Vienna City Guide: Sights, Food and Christmas Markets
- The Only Mykonos Guide You Need
- Where to Eat Portuguese Food in London
- 30 Things to do Before Turning 30
- 10 Beautiful Blogs to Discover
- Why Lisbon Has the Best Nightlife in Europe
- Kiku: The Best Traditional Japanese Sushi in London?
- The 12 Most Romantic London Restaurants
- Tips on Planning Your Hawaii Honeymoon
- 10 Things I Didn’t Know About Pregnancy
- Truffles 101: Top Ten Facts You Should Know
- Where To Find Paradise in Kefalonia, Greece
Miss Portmanteau uses affiliate links, which means that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Miss Portmanteau is also a participant in the Amazon Associates and Influencers Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.
All posts are written by me, Lara Olivia. All photographs are my own unless otherwise stated. Please ask permission in advance if you would like to use my work.