Bougain Villa in Agios Ioannis
Miss Portmanteau brings you an exclusive opportunity to book the perfect Mykonos villa for your 2017 summer vacation.
Bougain Villa is re-opening for bookings this summer following a major renovation to upgrade the property to today’s luxury standards.
- 3 bedrooms, 3 en-suite bathrooms, sleeps six
- Private luxury villa for families or couples
- Exclusive use swimming pool with uninterrupted views over the Aegean Sea
- Large southwest-facing terrace for magical Mykonos sunsets
- Fully serviced with all amenities included (see list below)
- Managed by the hotelier of Herodion and Philippos in Athens
- Excellent central location, 2 minutes walk from Agios Ioannis beach, 10 minutes drive to Mykonos town
Designed by a renowned Athenian architect, this luxury apartment is furnished with high-end bespoke furniture and fully equipped with all the amenities of a five star hotel.
The interior design reflects Mykonos’ iconic minimalist style, contrasting traditional white walls with warm wooden furniture and other materials found in nature, some of which are photographed below.
The spacious 120 sq m (1,290 sq ft) two bedroom apartment is situated on the ground floor of the main building of the estate with an independent entrance and a separate guest house annex. The 28 sq m (301 sq ft) annex has an en-suite double bedroom, bringing the total capacity to six people.
The villa belongs to a Mykonian family, which has enjoyed the property as their summer home for generations (see property history below). It takes its name from the beautiful pink bougainvillea that decorates the front wall of the house.
Agios Ioannis (Saint John) is a residential, up-market neighbourhood, offering privacy, peace and a quiet night’s sleep.
The villa is one of the few available for rent on the island so close to the beach. There are several prominent five star hotels, a couple of excellent restaurants, as well as two fantastic beaches – Agios Ioannis and Kapari – right at your doorstep.
Agios Ioannis is also home to Hippie Fish, the popular beach bar and restaurant where the Paramount classic movie Shirley Valentine was filmed. Ornos beach is a two minute drive away, where you can find supermarkets, cafes and restaurants. Adjacent to a small supermarket, Mykonos Bakery sells some of the best pastries and pies of the island, open 24/7.
Mykonos Town is 10 minutes by car, where the bars and shops stay open until the early hours giving you ample opportunity to explore the maze of white-washed houses and pedestrian streets both day and night. The town centre is a car free zone, with two main parking lots by the old port and windmills. Taxis are notoriously hard to get a hold of, making getting around by car or quad bike essential. There is also a bus stop a few metres from the house.
The property’s renovation is nearing completion and will be available from the end of June to late October 2017. Prices vary according to the number of people, length of stay and seasonal demand. Please note there is a 10% weekly discount.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and bookings.
Property Features and Amenities:
- One en-suite master bedroom, king bed
- One en-suite bedroom with twin beds
- Guest annex with en-suite bedroom, queen bed
- Large (6×12 m) exclusive use swimming pool
- Covered outdoor terrace with dining area, seats 10
- Living and dining room
- Fully-fitted open kitchen
- Air conditioning
- TV, PlayStation and wifi
- Espresso machine
- Hair dryer
- Safety deposit box
- Private parking space
- Airport/seaport transfer
- Refreshment upon arrival
- Beach towels provided
- Free wifi access
- Daily cleaning service
- Linen changed twice weekly
- Owner lives on the estate
- Local knowledge of Mykonos
- Famous Greek hospitality!
- Please request permission for parties and pets
- We only accept groups over 25 years old (excluding families)
- Smoking allowed
- Minimum stay of 5 nights, 10% weekly discount
- 24-hour Check-in, Check-out at 12:00, with separate shower/storage provisions available for use until your departure
The villa was once home to Katina, the first female dentist on the island, who bought the plot in 1973. The house was built a few years later, becoming the third house ever built in Agios Ioannis. Back then, many Mykonian roads had no names and so the official address of the property became Dentist Katina’s Villa.
It was also the first house in the area with electricity and a swimming pool, bringing power and pool parties to the neighbourhood. Many of the local hoteliers grew up swimming at Katina’s and fondly remember the pool parties of her grandchildren. The house continues to be a cherished summer home for the family, already enjoyed by four generations.
In the 1980s and 90s, Katina rented out parts of her villa to prominent people and celebrities, returning every summer. It was even featured in the first ever Lonely Planet for Mykonos, described as a cosy place with a superb garden.
Katina’s heritage is also of note. She is a direct descendant of Manto Mavrogenous, an important historical figure and one of the key leaders of the rebellion against the Turkish occupation in 1821. Katina was also the daughter of a saboteur and spy for the Greek resistance during the Second World War German occupation.